Monday, October 13, 2008

Twin water spouts...yikes!

So today we left Tortuga at around 6:00 a.m. and plan to get to PLC at about 2:00 p.m. The trip started off wonderfully. It was flat calm, and we were motoring. The first two and a half hours of the trip were very boring. Breakfast, play DS, sit around and wait for something interesting to happen. Well finally something did happen. Something I have never experienced before. First off, Daddy spotted a 810 foot long ship that would come much to close to our liking if we didn't change course. So from 9:30 to 10:00 we all stood on the deck looking for the ship. "I see it! Over here!" Daddy yelled at the first sight of the monster ship. Let me tell you that not only was it super long, it was extremely wide and tall too. As it got closer and closer everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at it in awe. Then, Mommy decided to go to the stern (the back) of the boat. When she got outside, she looked over our fishing lines to see if we had a fish. "FISH ON!" she yelled. So Daddy went outside to pull the fish in, while Cole and I looked out the hatches (windows) to see  the fish. The fish happened to be dead already. It was half eaten by a baracuda or something. All of a sudden the blue sky turned black and it started to rain. After yelling "batten down the hatches" about a million times while we closed all the hatches, everyone came back outside with bathing suits on. Then I looked at Cole's face. He looked absolutely petrified. "Mommy," he said in a shaky voice "what's that?". We all followed his gaze and saw two twin water spouts in the storm miles behind us. A water spout is just like a tornado, made of water. The water from a cloud forms a funnel and goes down to meet the ocean. If you are ever near a water spout, prepare for 180 knots (knots is kind of like MPH) of wind. Since we were so far away we didn't get this crazy wind. Just really loud thunder and lots of awesome lightning. The rain lasted for about 20 minutes, I think (I'm not sure because I was so sucked into the sight of the water spout). Soon the twins vanished, and another one appeared. This one we got to watch it form, and disappear. At first I was absolutely petrified, but when Daddy told me that we were going away from them, I felt much more comfortable. This was probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Just picture a black sky, pouring rain, the chaos of getting a fish on onboard, two water spouts behind you, and a huge ship passing across our bow. Yes, it was crazy. Well, the sky turned blue, with some wight fluff, and everything went back to normal. Daddy then taught Cole and I how we are going to tie the boat to the dock, piling, or moring and had us to multiple drills. Basically what we do every time we come to a dock. Now it is 12:25 and I'm going to go have lunch. bye!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cammi, your writing skills are getting so very good with such wonderful adjectives and descriptions!!! You can now go toe to toe with Mommy and Daddy! You are certainly having an exciting time of your life! Can't wait to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love ya tons,
Nonna xxxxxxxoooooooo